History of Blackstone
ADVENTURE - Shops - HISTORY & HERITAGE - Dining & Lodging
17th c. Daniels Farm
BLACKSTONE. Blackstone was incorporated as a town in 1845. It was originally the south parish of Mendon, in which was comprised most of the manufacturing interests of that town. These manufacturing establishments are mostly situated on Mill and Blackstone rivers. The villages are called Millville, Blackstone, Waterford, and Upper and Lower Canadas. The first minister in this place, Rev. Benjamin Balch, was ordained here in the year 1768, as pastor of the congregational church. "And on Saturday morning, March 27th, 1772, before daylight," (says Mr. Whitney in history of Worcester Co.) "Mr. Balch left the parish, without knowledge or consent of the people of his charge." Mr. B was afterwards installed at Barrington, N. H. It appears that at an early period, about one half the inhabitants were Baptists and Friends.
The Daniels Farmstead Foundation Inc. preserves and operates the farm (seen above). The farm and original ell date back to approximately 1750. The large farmhouse was added circa 1830. Several outbuildings on the property are still intact. The Daniels Farmstead is on the National Historic Register.
Blackstone Block...Built in 1849 by mill owner Welcome Farnum. This brick building was used as a commercial building with small shops, offices, and a large meeting room.
Old Quaker Meetinghouse.... The Friends Meetinghouse as built in 1812. A simple building with a plain interior consisting of plastered walls, wooden pews, and a small organ. The East Blackstone Meetinghouse is on the National Historic Register.
The Blackstone Woolen Company was owned and operated by the Blackstone Manufacturing Company. The original mill was built in 1808.