St. Brigid's Church, Millbury
Worcester County's first recorded baptism took place in Millbury on
April 23, 1833 when Father Fitton visited Millbury's Catholics. Baby Charles
Ryan was christened. Millbury, at the time, was the headquarters of Father
Fitton's missionary travels for central Massachusetts, though it was determined
that when it came time to build a Church that Worcester was more
"conveniently accessible to all". Hence, St.
John's, formerly known as
Christ Church was built on Temple Street, Worcester.
St. Brigid's Church in Millbury serves the parish area that Father Fitton
originally served in the 1830s. The Church itself is a combination of old and
new with fairly modern architecture, yet its "bell tower and angular lines
convey a Gothic impression". Interior heavy wooden beams add to the sense
of being old, but the altar extends into the church proper which was considered
very progressive in response to the new liturgy at the time (1955).
This Church was dedicated on October 30, 1955 and it replaced a wooden church
structure from 1851 that stood on the old Providence Road (Rte 122) site. Reverend
Laurence O'Toole was the presiding Rector that oversaw the construction of the
Church and the nearby rectory.
(This historical information was taken from Jack Frost's 1956 book on
Worcester County's Roman Catholic Churches titled, The Church in Worcester,
New England. It has a foreward by Bishop John Wright, whose name can be seen
on many dedication plaques throughout Worcester County as presiding Bishop in