History of Millbury
ADVENTURE - Shops - HISTORY & HERITAGE - Dining & Lodging
History and Engraving by John Warner Barber 1845
MILLBURY, formerly a part of Sutton, was incorporated as a town in 1813. It was incorporated as a parish in 1742, and called the second parish in Sutton. The first meeting-house was built in 1743, but the church was not embodied till 1747. Rev. James Wellman, the first pastor, was ordained in 1747 ; Rev. Ebenezer Chaplin, his successor, was ordained in 1764. Rev. Joseph Goffe, the next pastor, was ordained in 1794. Rev. Osgood Herrick succeeded Mr. Goffe in 1830. The next pastor, Rev. Nathaniel Beach, was settled in 1837. The Rev. George Campbell was in- stalled the first pastor of the Second church, in 1830; he was succeeded, in 1834, by Rev. William A. Learned. Rev. Samuel G. Buckingham, the next pastor, was ordained in 1837. In the town are several flourishing villages. The one seen in the engraving is called the Armory Village, in which is the post-office ; Millbury Bank, with a capital of 8100,000 ; and the Second Congregational meeting-house.
Burbank Village is situated about one mile south-westerly, in which is a number of factories, and the First Congregational meetinghouse, having a large basement story occupied as a town hall. About two miles farther west, is another village, in which is a post-office, called the West Millbury post-office. At the northern extremity of this village is a meetinghouse, which is occupied by the Baptist and the Third Congregational Societies. There is also a society of Methodists in this town, who hold their meetings in a large hall in Armory Village.
Millbury is pleasantly situated, and extensively engaged in manufacturing. The township is generally hilly, though of good soil. It is watered by the Blackstone river, and the Blackstone canal passes through Armory village, in which is a number of locks. A branch of the Boston and Worcester railroad was constructed to this place in 1838, giving the inhabitants the advantages of a direct and constant communication with Boston. Population, 2,153. Distance, 6 miles from Worcester, and 42 from Boston. In 1837, there were 6 woolen mills ; 18 sets of machinery ; 166,000 yards of cloth were manufactured ; value, $348,000 ; males employed, 148; females, 128 ; one cotton mill; 1,848 cotton spindles ; 350,000 yards of cotton goods were manufactured ; value, $25,000 ; males employed, 20 ; females, 20. One musket manufactory; 2,500 muskets manufactured; value, $25,000; hands employed, 30 ; one scythe manufactory ; 14,400 scythes manufactured ; value, $9,600 ; there were 9,800 pairs of boots and 80,500 pairs of shoes manufactured; value, $93,175; males employed, 150; females, 63; one paper-mill : value of paper, $15,000.