History of SuttoN
ADVENTURE - Shops - HISTORY & HERITAGE - Dining & Lodging
SUTTON. THIS town was originally purchased by a number of persons of John Wampus, a sachem, and his company of Indians, who claim- ed it, and was confirmed to the purchasers by the general court in 1704. It was formed into a township and called Sutton by an act of the legislature in 1715. The settling of the town was retard- ed for some time by reason of the wars with the Indians. In the year 1716, three families were seated in the place, and spent the succeeding winter there, which was that of the great snow. This snow fell on some of the last days of February, (0. S.) and came so deep that it wholly covered over the hut in which one of the families lived. The man being from home, the family would probably have suffered much, had not an Indian, who knew the circumstances, come to their relief. He found the cottage only by the hole which the smoke from the fireplace had made through the snow. In September, 1717, the first child was born in the town, named Abigail Marsh, daughter of Mr. Benjamin Marsh. Congregational Church, Sutton. The above is a western view of the Congregational church in Sutton, which is situated on an elevated hill, commanding an ex- tensive prospect in various directions. At present there are but few houses in the immediate vicinity of the church. This is a pleasant town, and extensively engaged in manufac- turing. It is watered by the Blackstone river, and the Blackstone canal passes on the northern border. The township is generally hilly, though of good soil. It contains soap-stone, and excellent granite for building. In the town are 2 Congregational meeting- houses, 2 Baptist, and 1 Episcopal. Population, 2,457. Distance, 10 miles from Worcester, and 44 from Boston. Wilkinsonville, a small manufacturing village, containing an Episcopal church, is on Blackstone river, on the northern border of the town. In 1837 there were in the limits of the town 4 cotton mills, 7,356 spindles; 1,301,727 yards of cotton goods were manufactured; value, $125,572; males employed, 94; females, 100; 2 woollen mills, 4 sets of machinery; 82.000 yards of cloth were manufactured; value, $110,000; males employed, 40; females, 24. There were 2,000 dozen of shuttles manufactured; value, $10,000 employedwas 1 woollen mill, 2 sets of machinery ; 30,000 yards of cloth were manufactured; value, $30,000; males employed, 15; females, 15. There were 8,530 pairs of boots and 9,280 pairs of shoes manufactured; value, $22,327; palm-leaf hats manufactured, 117,304; value, $22,108. There were 9 manufactories for chairs and cabinet ware; value, $12,586; hands employed, 22. There was 1 manufactory for tin ware, 1 for shovels, spades, forks or hoes, and 1 air and cupola furnace. Eleven saw-mills; lumber sawed, 1,986,000 feet ; value, $16,040.