History of UPTON
ADVENTURE - Shops - HISTORY & HERITAGE - Dining & Lodging
History and Engraving by John Warner Barber 1845
UPTON. THIS town is not an original grant, but was taken from Mendon, Sutton, and Hopkinton. It was incorporated by the general court in 1735. The first church was formed in this town soon after its Souttitni view of the central part of Upton. incorporation, and Rev. Thomas Weld ordained their pastor. He remained a few years with the people, when he was dismissed, and succeeded by Rev. Elisha Fish, (from Stonington, Conn.,) ordained in 1751. He died in 1795. The next and the present pastor, Rev. Benjamin Wood, was ordained in 1796. The society of Baptists originated about 1750, and the next year Rev. Abraham Bloss was ordained their teaching elder. This town presents a varied surface, changing from smooth to rough, and from hilly to more level ground. The soil is generally good, and is pretty well watered. A small stream, known by the name of West river, passes through the west part of the town, and flows into the Blackstone in the lower part of Oxbridge. The village consists of about 50 dwelling-houses, and a Congregational church, which is represented in the engraving. Population, 1,451. Distance, 14 miles S. E. of Worcester, and 35 from Boston. In 1837 there was 1 woollen mill ; 2 sets of ma- chinery ; 31,200 yards of cloth were manufactured ; value, $15,600; boots manufactured, 3.500 pairs; shoes, 117,699 pairs; value, $107,796 84; males employed, 156 ; females, 81 ; there were 14,000 straw bonnets manufactured; value, $35,110. 81 612 UXBRIDGE . UXBRIDGE. THIS town is composed of what was formerly the western part of Meridon. It was set off and incorporated by an act of the gene- ral court in June, 1727, and then received its present name. The Indian name was Wacantuck. It was larger at first than at present, as the north part, in 1772, was set off and made a distinct town, by the name of Northbridge. Southern view of the central part of Uxbridge, A church was gathered here in 1731, (under the direction of Rev. Joseph Dorr, of Mendon,) of which Rev. Nathan Webb was ordained pastor. He continued with the people 41 years, till his death, in 1772, and was succeeded by Rev. Hezekiah Chapman, ordained in 1774. He was dismissed in 1781, and in 1783 Rev. Josiah Spaulding suc- ceeded, who, continuing but about 4 years, was succeeded by Rev. Samuel Judson, who was ordained in 1792. Rev. Samuel Clarke was installed 'pastor of the parish church in 1833. Rev. David A. Grosvenor, the pastor of the second church, was settled in 1832. There is a Friends' church in this town. The above is a southern view of the central part of Uxbridge, taken from the residence of Rev. Mr. Grosvenor. The Unitarian church, a gothic structure, appears in the central part; the other Congregational church is seen on the left. Some of the buildings in Rogerson's village, nearly two miles from the center, are discerned in the extreme distance. Population, 2,246. Distance, 18 miles from Worcester, and 38 from Boston. This is a very pleasant and flourishing town ; the center is level and has a light soil ; the surrounding hills are moist, and better adapted to grazing and orchards. There are in the town a quarry of stone, easily wrought and highly valuable, and an iron mine, from which much ore has been taken. Uxbridge enjoys important advantages in being situated, for nearly its whole length, on the Blackstone river and canal, as well as from the water power of West and Mumford rivers, which here join the Blackstone. In 1837 there were 3 cotton mills; 11,000 spindles; 936,000 yards of cotton goods were manufactured ; value, $168,000; males employed, 130; females, 250 ; five woollen mills ; 13 sets of machinery ; 295,000 613 yards of satinet were manufactured ; value, $186,000 ; males em- ployed, 62 ; females, 66.