Town of Uxbridge
ADVENTURE - Shops - HISTORY & HERITAGE - Dining & Lodging
History by John Warner Barber 1845
Uxbridge, taken from nearby Mendon, which mothered many towns, was incorporated in 1727 and named for Henry Paget, Earl of Uxbridge. Previously known as Wacantug or Wacantuck, another of John Eliot's towns of Praying Indians. Low and highlands give Uxbridge scenic beauty and both the Mumford and Blackstone Rivers provided ample water power here, so industry rose quickly - especially textiles.
In 1837, Barber notes report three cotton mills, five woolen mill and one satinet mill. Fancy cassimere and shoddy were later manufactured in Uxbridge.
On November 6, 1789, George Washington and company stayed overnight at the Taft Tavern after being turned away from his friend's home in Mendon. Mendon's Colonel Amidon was not home when Washington stopped and thus he landed in Uxbridge.