The meetinghouse was built in 1770 for a sum of 206 pounds for the purpose of handling the growing Uxbridge Quaker population. It was built with locally made brick, believed to have been produced on the farm of Moses Farnum, one of the founding members of the community. The meeting house sits at the heart of what was referred to as "Quaker City" and was one of the earliest centers of activity in Uxbridge, here was found the first general store, (owned by George Southwick); the town's first library (established in 1775 and called the Uxbridge Social and Instructive Library), and many other Quaker owned businesses.
The meetinghouse is the oldest church structure in Uxbridge and Quakerism is the second oldest religion in town. The "old brick" has the distinction of being one of the few remaining crude churches in the country. It had separate entrances for the men and women and it has a wooden curtain that would be lowered after service to separate the sexes as they went into their separate meeting to discuss their business. The meeting was "laid down" at the old brick by 1910 and it sat neglected for years subject to vandalism.
The the Quaker Meeting House Association was formed to preserve and maintain this historic building in 1952. The association is a non-profit organization charged with the preservation of the “Old Brick” and community education of this historic landmark’s role in the Blackstone Valley. The meetinghouse is also available for weddings and for school tours. The Quaker Meetinghouse is located at the junction of Routes 146A (Quaker Highway) and 98 (Aldrich Street) in Uxbridge, Massachusetts. Admission is free and all are welcome. For more information or questions please call Carol (508) 278-2971.