THE WHITIN SPIRIT : DO WE STILL HAVE
1. Ecumenical-- way before their time.
Twelve Churches in Northbridge with land.
2. Treated each of their workers with utmost respect. Many examples
3. Hired anyone, regardless of Creed, Race, or National Origin.
4. Built 989 units of housing for their employees. Rent was cheap or
5. Had 7 Vice Presidents who were “problem solvers” and kept
6. The Whitins planned ahead, showed true grit and determination,
and set examples.
7. Never shut down their Plant for an extended period of time since
8. E. Kent Swift would go around the factory each Friday and greet
9. They built places in Town because they wanted to settle here for
10. The Whitins hired the best woodworkers and craftsmen from
England they found.
11. John Crane, a “workaholic” , and a Sunday School Teacher,
besides being an Inventor, also used his home as a Hospital to treat
Diphtheria patients who were also his workers.
12. There were 2 Blue Eagle Inns.
13. The Whitins sponsored more groups and clubs than any other
14. After WWII they “poured their capital” into Athletics for their
15. This Author has not seen an employee who was not proud of his
work in The Shop.
16. The Whitin Male Glee Club epitomized the Whitin Spirit during
17. Baseball was at its best during the 1930’s through the 1950’s in
18. Chester Lasell raised prized horses at Oakhurst Farm as a C.E.O.
of the WMW.
19. Many Whitin buildings and homes are included in the National
20. George Marston Whitin was a beloved CEO and Humanitarian in
21. Four Whitins were honored and served in World War II.
22. Each Town Department was started and maintained by the Whitin
23. The not-so-Great Hall of the Town of Northbridge is a “gem” that
24. The Whitins cared deeply about the Education and Nourishment of
25. Castle Hill Farm, a treasure and now a State Preservation Site,
is a direct link to the past of the Dutch Christian Community.
NOW THE REAL QUESTION IS THIS-- What have you done lately to help
cherish and preserve the Whitin Spirit ???
Back to Table of Contents
Email Author Don Gosselin: